An Online School Platform For Your Homeschool
My Homeschool uses Moodle, a learning platform created for online schools and universities that we have tailored for homeschooling families.
It’s easy to use and doesn’t require much technical skill. It also has a handy app for your smart phone or tablet.
We like to think of My Homeschool as a virtual homeschool cupboard. All your resources are stored in one handy place that you can find and download as needed.
Whilst we are utilizing this platform for learning, many of our lessons require reading from a real book or a paper-based resource.
Our notebooking activities use pen and paper (some could be done digitally if preferred). Additional time online will be included if your mathematics resource is online.
Online Homeschooling or Distance Education School Online
Here are some of the differences between distance education online schools and online homeschooling:
- Accountability: When you are with a registered online school you are accountable to a school. Your child is actually still a school student and not technically homeschooled. With My Homeschool you are not accountable to us; we give you the choice to run your homeschool as desired. You are responsible for your child’s registration and you make the application to homeschool.
- Flexibility: When using a distance education provider or online school they run the schedule and set the curriculum that must be done. When you use My Homeschool you still enrol in our courses but you have flexibility to run the schedule or even change around the curriculum if desired. You are in control of your schedule and can take holidays whenever you want. If you like to follow the school schedule then you can.
- Documentation: In both cases you will need to complete paperwork, if you are enrolled in a registered online school then you send the paperwork to the school. If you are a registered homeschooler then you may need to send some documentation to reregister (however this varies from state to state). When you use My Homeschool you don’t send any work to us. However we do provide templates and guidance on filling out the required paperwork.
- Online Support: Online schools offer some support to students. At My Homeschool we have a virtual staff room in our community forum and our resources are written so that the parent or student can learn along the way.
- Cost: Generally online homeschooling options tend to be lower cost because there are no teachers to pay.
- Enrolment Criteria: When using distance education schools there are often conditions to entry such as where you live or whether or not you meet certain criteria. At My Homeschool you can enrol in our courses simply by becoming a member and paying for the course. It does not matter if you live overseas.
How Much Is Online School Work?
Your child will need to access our online learning platform to complete some of their online lessons. A laptop, tablet, or desktop computer will work well. Your smart phone can be used for a quick review, or on the go, but it’s not the best long-term option for online reading and watching videos.
Our courses are set out in three sections:
• Before You Start – This has the files that you will need to help you get going with our course. (This is for the parent)
• The Virtual Cupboard – stores all the lesson resources. (This is for the parent)
• Weekly Topics – This section is set out into the 18 weeks of the semester. It includes all the online links, and videos needed for that week in one handy place. No need to surf the internet looking for information, or find a PDF to open, because we’ve conveniently set it all up for you, so they can go straight to the place we recommend. Your child can also check off activities and you are sent an email when they complete their lessons for the week. (This is for the student)
A Virtual Cupboard in the Primary Years
The main strength of this platform is that all of your resources are stored in one place. However in the primary years hardly any of their work will be done online. You will be able to download the material and print it off.
The parent will benefit from having the online school resources available on their phone and there are also links to some videos but your child will not be writing their work online and they will be reading from real books. We also do not have children googling information. We have at times provided direct links that we have watched prior to suggesting them.
Independent Work For Online High School Homeschool
In Year 7 and Year 8 there are still lots of real books to read and notebooking activities. We are expecting students to do more independent work and have provided links to explore however there are no online quizzes or online activities. We still have many learning opportunities that include field trips and artistic pursuits.
My Homeschool is not a a registered online school, or distance education school. We have no affiliation to any schools and do not get government funding. We do however follow the Australian Curriculum and each state’s syllabus.