Australian Year 9 Homeschooling Curriculum
Our Year 9 homeschooling curriculum is a literature rich, family friendly program written for Australian children.
Please Note: This curriculum will be ready for sale December 2020.
Working On The Future
When my children began homeschooling for Year 9, I knew a bit about the subjects they needed to learn but not enough. There were so many specific topics I was meant to cover in the Australian Curriculum.
The secular Australian school textbooks were not suitable. They were written for a classroom setting and they often clashed with a Christian worldview.
The American Year 9 homeschooling resources didn’t work either. They didn’t match the Australian curriculum in their scope and sequences and they lacked Australian examples.
Even the Charlotte Mason book list curriculums were of little help because the book suggestions were often outdated, out of print or only mildly relevant to the Australian Curriculum.
I wasted thousands of dollars buying Year 9 homeschooling curriculum only to use some parts of it or none of it at all.
Now that I have graduated four children from my homeschool and sent them all to university, I know that these last years of homeschool high school really matter.
What I wanted was an Australian Year 9 homeschooling curriculum that wasn’t bloated with excess material, didn’t need lots of tweaking, had a reasonable academic load but still left space to explore.
The problem was that when I was homeschooling for Year 9, a curriculum like that didn’t exist.
But I’ve found a solution.
I launched My Homeschool so the Australian homeschooling community would have a Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool curriculum written exclusively for them.
Jo Lloyd, is the gifted curriculum writer of our Year 9 homeschooling curriculum. She is a homeschool mother with university qualifications in history, literature, law and geography. Jo has worked as a policy officer and consultant in the areas of heritage and environment law and strategic planning, and she taught at university for twelve years. She also runs homeschool co-ops, is active in her local church and coaches high school students as they prepare for university.
Jo has worked hard to make this Year 9 homeschool curriculum family friendly and academically strong but also wholesome and inspiring.
Why Follow the Charlotte Mason Method For Year 9 Homeschooling?
We wanted you to have confidence that you were educating your child in a way that honoured their emotional, academic and spiritual needs, and give you shortcuts so you would easily pass registration.
We know how important it is to nurture your children’s hearts and minds as you educate them. The Charlotte Mason method gives us the framework to achieve these goals.
It’s Written For Australian Children
You won’t need to be Australianising our content. We have mapped our curriculum to the Australian standards for each state and territory and we’ve done it for you in a Charlotte Mason way.
- Australian literature and poetry,
- Australian spelling and grammar lessons for English,
- Australian examples for science, geography and history,
- Metric measurements and Australian money,
- Australian landforms, plants and animals for nature study,
- Famous Australian art works for picture study,
- Indigenous content and books in all grades.
But we don’t limit our curriculum to only Australian content.
We want your children to have a rich feast of ideas presented to them so we also include world history, foreign languages, classic literature and a range of resources that encourage your child to learn about the world around them.
High School Electives For Year 9 & 10
By Year Nine we understand that many teenagers have a particular area of interest or skill that they would like more time to pursue and excel at. This is one of the marvelous aspects of home education! Our Subject Guides will help you create a tailor-made program where your teenager can choose two electives they want to study.
Your Nine course gives you access to Subject Guides in the areas of:
- Commerce and Economics,
- Technology and Design,
- Creative Arts,
- Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE),
- Foreign Languages.
Bonus Elective Feature: Given most electives are studied over two years, these Subject Guides include more than enough resources so you can use them to help you plan your Year 10 elective courses too.
We Wanted A Year 9 Homeschooling Curriculum That Worked For Home Educators
Our curriculum writers have already done the juggle of homeschooling a few children at once.
- We knew how lovely and important it is to learn as a family so we’ve included some family read alouds and lessons for discussion.
- We reduced the time needed for formal academics by crafting our curriculum so our resources and books often teach multiple topics.
- We made each grade fit each state and territory’s syllabus, so you can give an integrated education from kindergarten to high school.
- We made sure it was academically challenging so your children will have career options, and a pathway to university if needed.
- We put it all in one place so you weren’t hunting around looking for resources everytime you wanted to begin lessons.
- We made it easy to access your lessons and planner when you were out and about or travelling just by picking up your smartphone.
- We give you a range of Year 9 and 10 elective options for your teen to choose so you can tailor the program to suit your high schooler’s needs.
We Want You To Homeschool Well!
Getting a curriculum is the first step. Teaching it is the hard part.
That is why we want to offer you more than just a curriculum. We want to mentor you and support you on this journey. We have experienced home educators who have already travelled this path and when you hit a hurdle we want to help you figure out ways to find a solution.
We do that in a few ways:
- We have a community forum where you can ask your homeschool questions and get some advice. You can also email us if you need to.
- Our free Homeschool Teaching 101 Course that comes with membership will give you an understanding on the teaching methods we use.
- Documentation to help you make your registration application simple and understandable so you can get registered quickly.
- Weekly mentoring workshops discussing various aspects of homeschooling.
Our homeschool curriculum is written to comply with all Australian states and territories. We give you a shortcut to help you get straight into giving your child a delightful and robust education without spending hours and hours researching, and tweaking unsuitable content. And we’ll make it easy for you to get registered because we’ve already done 75% of the documentation you need for your application.
Our Year 9 Homeschooling Online Learning Platform
We use Moodle, a popular educational online learning platform to run our courses. In Year 9 this is a resource that the parent and student share. You will need access to the My Homeschool learning platform to complete and watch video lessons. A laptop, tablet, or desktop computer will work well. Your smartphone can be used for a quick review, or on the go, but it’s not the best option for online reading and watching videos long-term.
Whilst we are utilising this online platform for learning and include many of our recommended book titles for online reading, many lessons do require reading from a real book or a paper-based resource.
This Year Nine Homeschool Program:
- Uses living books and classic literature across the curriculum.
- Complies with all the Australian states and territories’ registration requirements.
- Provides weekly lesson plans and online checklists.
- Provides 6 elective subject to use for Year 9 and 10 planning.
- Runs on a 4 or 5 day week depending on your preference.
- Trains your high schooler towards independent learning.
- Provides documentation to be used for registration and record keeping.
- Uses Moodle, an online learning platform, to help organise and deliver lessons.
Course Costs & Enrolment
We have divided this course into two separate semesters:
- Semester One includes Term One and Two. $440
- Semester Two includes Term Three and Four. $440 (Available for sale May 2021)
There is no time limit on the completion of a semester. You can begin our courses at any time of the year.
- $440 per semester plus a family membership subscription. All courses are purchased from within our My Homeschool Member’s site. Note: Only one subscription is needed per family.
- Additional living books are required to complete the course. These will cost less than $200.
- Printing of resources and additional stationery is also required
For a comprehensive explanation of all these resources download our Year Nine Course Outline.
Continued Membership Rewards.
You will continue to have access to your purchased courses, and all the benefits of being a My Homeschool member, for as long as you keep your subscription membership current. This means you can use this My Homeschool Year 9 homeschooling course for subsequent children.
I already have a very busy life? How much time will this involve?
My Homeschool follows the Charlotte Mason practice of shorter lessons and the power of attention to make the most out of lesson time. Our Year Nine course involves about 4 hours of core lesson time each day, with an additional 45 minutes provided each day to pursue the areas of their own interest (electives). Lessons are allocated for four days each week, allowing the fifth day for Co-op activities, activities outside the home, volunteer or part-time work, and time for your teenager to pursue their other interests.
Is This Course Secular or Christian?
This curriculum aims to give parents confidence that they are educating their children with a worldview that honours the values of Christian education however our resources are not exclusively Christian. We have attempted to choose great resources and often a secular resource was the best option.
Education of the whole child is important to us and parents are encouraged to nurture their children’s spiritual, intellectual, emotional and social needs. Check on our blog for the post Is Charlotte Mason homeschooling Christian? if you would like to read more on this topic.
How Do I Teach Multiple Children?
Our Year Nine course has been developed with the understanding that a student of this age is able to be largely an independent learner, allowing parents to act more as a support and guide. Choice has been built into this curriculum to give you the flexibility you need for teaching multiple ages and adapting to the special needs and interests of your child/children, allowing you to use this high school course while teaching any younger children you may also have.
This Is How You Enrol?
At My Homeschool we want to give you the curriculum we always wanted.
Many of our members report that our curriculum is just what they needed to educate in a Charlotte Mason way and feel confident that they are following their state’s registration requirements.
Become A Member now to Buy Your Course. You’ll get access to our learning platform where you can enrol in our course and get access to all these course materials. It will only take 15 minutes.
The mind "is nourished on ideas and absorbs facts only as they hang connected with the living ideas upon which they hang. Children educated upon some such lines as these respond in a surprising way, developing capacity, character, countenance, initiative and a sense of responsibility...The mind feeds on ideas and therefore children should have a generous curriculum."