Is My Homeschool An Australian Christian Home Schooling Curriculum?
My Homeschool is committed to following the Australian Curriculum which is a secular curriculum. Many of our resources are secular. However, we also aim to give parents confidence that they are educating their children with a worldview that honours Christian values.
Education of the whole child is important to us and parents are encouraged to nurture their children’s spiritual, intellectual, emotional and social needs.
We have done our best to choose wholesome books that provide good role models and teach character. But not all books are perfect and many characters are flawed (as we all are). We do not emphasis religion but our history books will have some religious themes because of the period in which they are set. We also alert parents to sections of the curriculum that they may like to pre-read, review or discuss prior to a lesson. In other words we have tried to eliminate any ‘surprises’ that may occur in the curriculum that may not match up with a parent’s ethos on a Christian education. You can read about our literature philosophy here.
We do not include Bible study. We have left it up to the parents to decide how they want to teach their faith. Our weekly routine includes a group family time and we encourage you to teach your children the Bible then, if desired.
Australian Christian Home Schooling Resources
Many of our resources have been written specifically with Australian Christian home educators in mind.
- A few of our science resources have been exclusively written for My Homeschool and they match the Australian Curriculum. They do not discuss Christian doctrine but they do not include the theory of evolution as fact. Apologia Science has been recommended for our late primary and high school studies.
- History studies includes chronological world history which covers Jewish, Christian and Church history.
- Our Australian geography has been written by Jo Lloyd who is a geographer and Christian. Her husband is a scientist and he has also contributed to some of our material.
- Literature choices have been mindful of parents who want to offer their children books that will inspire.
- Personal Development and Health outlines are given for the parents as a guide so that they can follow the Australian Curriculum expectations. However we believe parents have the right to teach this topic and we allow you to approach the subjects discussed in an age appropriate manner.
Charlotte Mason and Australian Christian Home Schooling
We are fans of Charlotte Mason and promote her method as a good way to provide an Australian Christian home schooling curriculum. You can read more about her method here. But we also use ideas from other Christian Homeschooling authors such as Ruth Beechick and Sally Clarkson.
Can This Program Be Taught In A Secular Way?
There are a number of secular homeschoolers and families of other faiths using our curriculum. They report that they are happy using My Homeschool, but some families have chosen to use an alternative science curriculum from Year 5 as we have used a Christian science curriculum. Many literature options are given so a secular alternative is often available. Our goal is to teach the Australian Curriculum but in a way that supports Australian Christian home education. You can read more about the authors here.
My Homeschool has been the perfect fit for our family. It has provided the “hand-holding” I needed as a new homeschooler while still being flexible enough to be workable in everyday life.
It took the stress out of writing the application for exemption to homeschool as everything was laid out for me, and we were granted 18 months exemption.
I love that it uses a relaxed CM style, can be taught from a Christian worldview and is Australian. The weekly plans are not overly prescriptive so can easily be implemented according to the child’s individual interests and pace of learning and whatever else is happening in our week.Lauren from SA